Remedial massage (or deep tissue massage) is the discipline of using massage for the specific benefits of sports and exercise participants. It is tailored to each individual’s needs in order to positively enhance their normal daily activities or their ability to perform sports.
It involves the management, mobilisation and rehabilitation of the soft tissues of the body e.g. muscles, ligaments and tendons. In other words, the structures of our body that allow movement.
- Improved circulation and lymphatic flow (important after competition or hard training)
- Increase or decrease in muscle tone (to redress imbalances and help with relaxation of tense muscles)
- Increase or decreased muscle length (helps improve flexibility and improve posture)
- Sports massage also helps to prevent injuries by predicting potential problem areas (e.g. areas where tension imbalances have begun to develop); effectively aiding recovery from injury phases through various stages of participation in sports and rehabilitation programs and can also speed up the removal of metabolic wastes.
- Regardless of whether you exercise or play sport to keep fit, or if you compete from club to international levels, sports massage may be able to help you.