At the first sign of a new sporting injury:
Initially follow the RICER protocol
- Rest– avoid excessive movement for 24 hours. Excessive movement can increase bruising and swelling.
- Ice- 20 minutes every 2 hours.
- Compression– Bandages can be obtained from a pharmacy or physio clinic. Make sure the compression is not too tight to cut off circulation to the area.
- Elevation– Try and keep area above heart level for 10 minutes every hour or more.
- Referral– Come in and see us at your earliest convenience so that we can assess your injury and suggest the appropriate management for your return to 100% health.
As well as avoiding “HARM”
No Heat- Heat will increase swelling
No Alcohol– Alcohol will increase bleeding and decrease healing
No Running-Running will increase swelling
No Massage- Especially in the first 24-48 hours. Massage will increase swelling and bruising.